Faith-Boosting Genes: A Search for the Genetic Basis of Spirituality
The other day I heard someone proclaim that science had proven there is a God gene. Science has not done this. The author of this article says the book The God Gene by Dean Hamer would have been better entitled: "A Gene That Accounts for Less Than One Percent of the Variance Found in Scores on Psychological Questionnaires Designed to Measure a Factor Called Self-Transcendence, Which Can Signify Everything from Belonging to the Green Party to Believing in ESP, According to One Unpublished, Unreplicated Study."
The Evolution of the God Gene, The New York Times, Week in Review, by Nicholas Wade, November 14, 2009
Archive for "Being Human"
- ► 2014 (14)
- ► 2013 (17)
- ► 2012 (30)
- ► 2011 (87)
- Learning from Experience
- Belief, Science, Survival
- US Policy: A New, Much Improved US Approach to In...
- Got the Kavorka? Mesmerized by someone's animal m...
- But what exactly is a "bit" of integrated consciou...
- Superstition, Religion and Science
- Why So Many Americans Hate Liberals, Science and R...
- Dancing for Darwinian "Fitness"
- The Case for God by Karen Armstrong- A Book Review...
- Africa's Forever Wars
- Africa Day
- China and Africa
- Diamonds are forever?
- Americans, Britons and Canadians - Common Language...
- US Policy: US Ambassador's Fund for Cultural Pres...
- Is there really a "God gene"?
- Was Darwin wrong?
- Journalist and Political Scientist: Environmental...
- Does creationist film discredit Darwin and his wor...
- Is scientific knowledge as good or better than rel...
- US Policy: The Overseas Plans of Our Diplomats an...
- Show Them the Money!
- Half of Americans Believe Humans Originated on Ear...
- US Policy: Re-Writing the "Four Bs" of US Foreign...
- Bad Approach to Science Education in the US?
- Jim's Blog Site
- ▼ September (27)